Monday, June 05, 2006

Spill number 3... er 4? Shit who's counting

Never, never, ever, ever, brake on a manhole cover. This is probably the most important rule in cornering. I now have personal experience to back this rule up. Hopefully I will now take this rule more seriously.

Going to church yesterday, I braked (only slightly) in a corner going maybe 30km/h. Front wheel slipped out and I went down with my leg pinned under the bike. Eina! Note to self: next time get leg away, the bike does not need a soft landing.

One thing I am pleased with is the protection afforded by my chaps. Despite having my leg dragged across 2m of tar under a 300kg weight, I sustained no serious graze except the scratch caused by the denim I was wearing. Denim is bad! It burns. So sucks to all you cowboy haters. I love my chaps! Go chaps go!

I would have liked to post a picture of my bloodied and broken body, but there is really nothing to see. I have a slight limp and my head is a little swollen from all the TLC, thanks to Yvette, Katie and various other generous souls. Of course, if you are still keen to see the body, you can send an email requesting "Body" and I'll gladly oblidge for a small fee. But it may be disapointing what with the cold and all...

3 comments:

Gus said...

but did you preach afterwards?

Dassie said...

No way! If my leg's don't work, my brain freezes up.

Rock in the Grass (Pete Grassow) said...

You have my endless sympathy. You slipped because you were going too slowly. If you were going at, say, 90 kph you would have braked after the cover and been fine.